Who wouldn’t want hair that is long, strong, healthy and shining – who wouldn’t want hair that is truly their crowning glory! Most people will talk about how they want gorgeous hair, but will actually not do a lot to ensure the health of their hair. They will maintain an overall improper attitude towards their hair, and when things start to go wrong with their hair, they will try to find ways to place the blame elsewhere.
It is imperative to remember that your hair will not be as forgiving as you think and you need to take care of them before they are all gone. What is interesting to note is that having healthy hair that looks great too, is not all that tough a task and with a simple few changes in your routine, you could actually have stunning hair.
Here are some simple tips and tricks to long, shiny and healthy hair:
- Stop washing your hair with hot water – While standing under the hot shower might feel nice for your body, it is not helping your hair. Hot water is known to strip away oils, and when you wash your hair with hot water, you are stripping away the natural oils, leaving your hair dry and prone to breakage.
- Improve your general lifestyle – Is your diet filled with junk food? Do you not sleep on time? Are you taking too much stress in your daily life? If the answer to any of these questions is a yes, chances are that your hair is showing it. For healthy hair, you need to make sure that you eat right and that your diet has lots of fruits and vegetables. You also need to make sure that you do not take too much stress, get enough sleep and have some form of exercise in your regular routine.
- Dirty hair can never be healthy – Although you need not wash your hair every day (as a matter of fact, you should not wash your hair every day, because you are stripping away natural oils and moisture from your hair with the water), you do need to make sure that you wash them as and when they feel dirty. Ideally, you should wash your hair twice a week, but if your hair feels greasy or you have been around dirt or dust, you can wash them again.
- Oil is your hair’s best friend – There was a reason that our grandmothers would forcibly oil our hair when we were children. This was because oil is nourishment for our hair and gives it strength as well as hydration. Natural oils such as coconut and olive work really well for most types of hair and warming them up slightly before usage helps nourish the hair better. Ensure that you massage the oil into the roots of your hair and leave it for at least a few hours, before shampooing it off.
There are also some home remedies that you can create using things that you would normally find in your kitchen cupboard. These are methods which have been tried and tested for years and are known to work for most people.
- Aloe vera leaves in conditioner – We are seeing plenty of leave in conditioners in the market these days, but did you know that creating your own leave-in conditioner would take only a few minutes and less than a handful of ingredients. All you need is the gel from one leaf of aloe vera, which you need to blend well till it is smooth and lump free. In a small spray bottle, mix this gel with a small amount of water and then simply spray on clean hair and leave it, as you would leave in The proteolytic enzymes present in aloe vera will repair damaged cells and improve the health of follicles, leading to an increase in hair.
- Yoghurt and gooseberry hair mask – There would be no Indian household that does not have yogurt or curd in their kitchens. But little do they realize that with just one cup of curd and two large spoonfuls of amla power, they can have a nourishing hair mask that will give them shinier and longer hair. Ideally, you should leave this hair mask for about 30 minutes, before washing it all out with a mild shampoo. Make sure that you use a good conditioner after that. While the amla is known source of vitamin C, curd has vitamins B5 and D, both of which are essential for hair growth.
- Onion juice – Chopping an onion could bring tears to your eyes, but did you know that the same onion can also nourish your hair! Extract the juice from one large onion and mix that with about four drops of lavender essential oil. Apply this mix to your scalp while gently massaging it in. after about 15 minutes, wash it off with a gentle shampoo and remember to condition. The high sulfur content in onions is known to boost hair growth naturally and improve blood circulation.
- Fenugreek seeds – Fenugreek seeds have always been considered a good solution for diabetes, but they can also work miracles for your hair. Soak a quarter cup of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and leave it overnight. In the morning, blend the seeds along with a little bit of the water in which the seeds were soaked and create a smooth paste. Apply the paste to your hair and scalp and leave for about 30 minutes. Wash off with your shampoo and do remember to condition. Fenugreek seeds are powerhouses of protein, vitamin C, and iron, giving hair the nutrition it needs.
Include these tips for healthy hair in your regular routine, and within no time, you will start to notice your hair become stronger and longer!